Monday, March 1, 2010

Thaw

First run today on the trails in over a month.  Maybe longer.  Still tons of snow to melt (I'm calling June before that pile in Barracks Rd. is gone) and the damage from this winter has most certainly been done.

That's a piece of our singletrack here on the farm.  And that's a 6 foot hole made by the root ball of the tree tipping over.  Just one of many.  Lucky for me (and a lot of dirt loving other folks in central VA), Dave has been kindly spending his lunch breaks digging out and packing down so we can all hit the trails again.  

I've also been strolling around the land that is now "ours".  Well, legally now, at least.  I definitely didn't see owning something, especially a piece of land, feeling this different.  But I think it might be the longevity we're looking at with this spot.  The memories and experiences we'll have there and all the times we'll walk those trails are all to be determined and that's really exciting.  Dave, the romantic he only shows me when it's right, had this idea.  And, yes Dad, it's on a tree that we won't have to cut down to build the house.


But, with all the excitement comes lots of planning.  Anyone that knows me can probably figure out that I love the planning process.  But this is kind of going quickly for my comfort zone.  When we decided on our roof in about 5 minutes and 3 drawings, I knew I was out of my league a bit.  But, if we did it my way, we'd be in the house by the time we would need to renovate it for wheelchairs so I think this is good.  


To fill you in on the basic idea, we're trying to do a two-story great room/kitchen with a guest room loft. The master bedroom will be off to one side of the house with a breezeway to attach it.  The walk out basement underneath the great room will have the "extra" :) rooms.  Probably two.  Haha, that still seems weird.  

On the never-a-dull-moment front, Bailey decided to let her winter boredom show and eat her way through a nylon folding chair in the back of our car one day.  Then she spent all night destroying the plants I work so hard not to kill myself and threw it all up on one 5 pound ball of mesh net, nylon, ribbon (in the plant), and leaves.  Can a plant live without photosynthesis?  We'll see if this little guy can answer that question.  




Thanks, munchkin.


Soooo innocent.  

  

2 comments:

  1. Oh Shan! What a gift to be able to have the land and plan a home for you guys. I'm loving the process with you. Thanks for sharing. Man, too bad about those plants. Looks kinda like mine when I'm trying to take care of them. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give up on all of you! Where did my green thumb go? Maybe it skips a generation........

    ReplyDelete