Sunday, October 11, 2009

Kerosene

I always think it's funny that in the fall, the thermometer dips under 70 and we crank up the heaters, unpack wool socks and snuggle under comforters but wait until spring and anything above 50 degrees, we're driving with the windows down and shivering in our t-shirts.  I suppose it's that ever present need for the next thing.  Another reason I love Virginia.  Pretty much 3 even months of all four seasons, right on schedule to give you enough time to enjoy the current weather but then changes things up right when you're getting tired of your current situation.

Oh, right, kerosene.  So, we heat our house pretty much entirely on a wood stove.  And my dad, having done the same throughout my childhood, has recently discovered this wonderful liquid.  Stack the wood in the stove, spray a bit (careful here), light, and you're set for a rager in a matter of minutes.  I only went through one full winter of making fires with newspaper and twigs - I can't imagine doing that again.  And, I won't have to.  Kerosene is glorious.

We also had a little family fun day at the Graves Mountain Lodge Fall Apple Festival (did that all need to be capitalized?).  I set out on my long run and dave loaded up the bears (that's what we call our dogs) and met me along the way.  Had a great country drive looking at the changing leaves and getting excited about some good hiking, apple picking, and bluegrass music... then we hit traffic.  Yeah, traffic.  In the country, on a Sunday, all for the festival.  I've been going to this event since I was a kid and I've never seen it this crowded.  I definitely understand that all things must progress at some point but I'll admit, I was pretty bummed that something like this couldn't just stay the same.  I suppose the secret is out.  And in the end, it's ok, it was a good one.  I'm sorta surprised they kept it for as long as they did.  Here are some pics...


  Portrait of the kids.  Bender (left) and Bailey.





No comments:

Post a Comment